Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Triumphant Return of Baby Sarah

Well, folks, for those of you who don't know, my sophomore year at Notre Dame is now officially over. To celebrate this fact - and to avoid thinking about the reality that I am now halfway done with college - I've decided to re-read my journal from my freshman year of high school and share with you all the best nuggets of wisdom from 14-year-old me. Enjoy!


September 11: She thinks she is this Fosse explosion. She isn't that good and she knows it. She pretends she is anyway.

December 10: Cuz while I liked [boy], I wanted not to, like, more than life.

December 20: Both [friend] and [friend] think that means he definitely likes me. YAY! I so hope that's the case. I was going to add him on MSN (to find out if he likes me) but according to [friend], who doesn't even know his addy anyway, he never gets on. GRRR!

December 23: OH MY GOD! THANK GOD FOR MYSPACE!!!! Any bad thing I ever said about MySpace, I hereby renounce! TGFMS!

December 28: So then on Sunday - Christmas Eve - I sat at home all day in my pajamas and my glasses (I didn't even touch my hair.) All I ate all day was Jell-O. And the icing on that great fricking cake? At perhaps 4:00 in the afternoon, I'm sitting there, the only one home, and the doorbell rings. I knew nothing but bad could come of that. But I trudge to the door and check to see who it is. It's [FIRST NAME] EFFING [LAST NAME]! The most gorgeous guy in the entire class of 2009! That was really just GREAT.

January 1: Why must everything be so complicated? I'm going to share all the crap that's gone down lately in chronological order.

But the possibility presents itself that perhaps [boy] wasn't lying to [Friend A], but instead to [Friend B], and he actually does like me. In which case, God KNOWS what I'm going to do.

January 4: So today was the first day of the 2nd semester. Hoo-freaking-rah. I was in both 2nd and 3rd period with [boy], and that's when I realized two things. One: He was NOT lying to [Friend B]. Two: He's a pathetic, wimpy loser.

January 6: In English, he sits at a good vantage point for me to end up inadvertently looking at him all the time, which is not necessarily unpleasant on the eyes, but is very hard on the emotions.

January 11: MARK YOUR CALENDARS, BOYS AND GIRLS, FOR TODAY IS A RED-LETTER DAY!!! (no, I am not going to Sweethearts with Orlando Bloom.) SARAH MARGARET CAHALAN HAS EXACTLY SEVEN DAYS UNTIL, FINALLY, AT LONG LAST, HER BRACES ARE COMING OFF!!!!!! THAT'S RIGHT, FOLKS, AFTER FIVE AND A HALF YEARS, THURSDAY, JANUARY 18TH, THE ETERNAL METAL MOUTH IS NO MORE!

January 14: A furry shoe does not belong anywhere in this world, really, but especially not with a suit. And if, for some completely insane reason, you must wear a furry shoe with a suit, it should at least be a style which would normally be considered dressy and okay to wear with a suit, were it not covered in fur.

February 9: In French today, Reichert said, "[boy] est intelligent, smart," and [boy] says, "Oh, that's what that means? I thought it meant 'good-looking.'" Self-absorbed jerk.

February 10: DO YOU SEE WHAT A PATHETIC, PATHETIC, SAD, PATHETIC LITTLE PERSON I AM?

February 13: Yep. Another snow day. Cass County is under a "snow emergency" right now (there's a 45-foot drift just outside town, as we learned from the WEATHER CHANNEL). At this point, since the six weeks ends in three days, I'm putting my biology grade in the hands of God.

February 14: I'm only writing in pink because it's Valentine's Day. But while I'm wearing/writing in pink everything today, my mood is totally black.

February 16: I just realized THE line to describe how I'm feeling right now about [boy]: "I wish I knew how to quit you!" Okay, so yes, it's from Brokeback Mountain, yes, it's one of the most made fun of lines in the history of cinema, and yes, in its original context, it was spoken from cowboy to cowboy. But it's so accurate! I should write a poem or something about it. But not now.

February 23: I must note this now so that I can remember it forever. I must never forget the time [trombonist] yelled in the band room before a basketball game: "[SAXOPHONIST], YOUR GIRLFRIEND IS NOT A PETTING ZOO."

March 10: In the competition of who had the better time at Sweethearts, we both lost.

March 12: IT'S MY BIRTHDAY! WOO-HOO! In the immortal words of London Tipton from "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody," YAY ME!

March 21: GAAAHHH!! [boy] and [girlfriend] broke up!! He broke up with her Monday and in the process even called her a bitch, like, to her face.

"Something like Wednesday, March 28": You know something? I'm really crazy about the heading of this entry. "Something like Wednesday March 28." Doesn't that sound like a book title?

April 1: So now I have to really step it up as English team captain and really try to qualify us for state, since it's the coach's last year. She's not asking it, but it's like, if we don't make it to state, I will feel like absolute SCUM. It's like if some dying old lady tells you to do something, and you don't, and then she DIES. IT'S UP TO ME TO HONOR OUR COACH'S DYING WISH!

April 6: But last night, a totally new player entered the game (btw when I say player, I don't mean, like, pimp).

May 22: Yesterday in class, [teacher] let us work in pairs on something, and [boy] asked if he could work with me. I "begrudgingly" said yes (wink wink).

May 25: So graduation is tonight. Whatever. There are very few of these people I'm going to miss.

(On May 28 and May 29, I drew detailed pictures of my eraser after, at school those days, it was stabbed with a pen and subsequently ripped in half.)

May 29: Like, this is probably the most self-contradictory journal in the history of man.

Later, [friend] just HAS to say to me and [boy], "You two would make the cutest couple." She is just going on and on about how we should get married. Then, after staring at us intently while we argue, she says, "I'm trying to picture your kids." I hate that [friend] is ALWAYS RIGHT.

For my careers class interview, I was interviewed by my sister's best friend's dad. Convenient! It was either him, [recent LHS grad] (who I did NOT want - I'm smarter than him!), or Mr. [principal] (who I didn't want for obvious reasons).

June 1: I hate him. Well, I don't. But I do. I realize that makes no sense. But you know what it means!

June 2, under the heading "*<3 THE YEAR IN REVIEW <3*":
FAVE CELEB HOTTIE: Corbin Bleu
BEST TV SHOW: Drake & Josh
LEAST FAVORITE MOVIE: HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL
DUMBEST SONG THAT I <3: "Umbrella" by Rihanna
DUMBEST SONG, PERIOD: "Promiscuous" by Nelly Furtado
LOOK-ALIKES: [friend] and Lilly from Hannah Montana; [random male classmate] and the music box monkey from Phantom of the Opera 
Alas, I'm out of things to say, so I guess I must go. In the immortal words of Fall Out Boy, Thnkx Fr Th Mmrs! [friend] and I are intending to someday bind our journals from this year. But for now, my mostly [boy]-related freshman year saga is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment